John E. Hanley II
John Hanley is a native of Louisville, Kentucky. He attended Saint Xavier High School and obtained his undergraduate and law degrees from nationally ranked Georgetown University, located in Washington D.C. After graduating from law school, he began his career with Greenebaum Doll & McDonald, PLLC, one of the largest, most well-respected firms in Kentucky and its surrounding region.
In 1997, Mr. Hanley teamed with Michael A. Valenti to form the law firm now known as Valenti Hanley & Robinson, PLLC. The firm has grown from three attorneys to its current twelve.
Mr. Hanley practices civil litigation for both the plaintiff and defendant with an emphasis on general business litigation, employment litigation, equine litigation, and insurance defense. Over the years, his primary clients have been insurance companies, local businesses, banks, and individuals involved in business or employment disputes.
Mr Hanley also practices in the area of corporate formation and business transactions having represented both sellers and purchasers of business entities.
During the course of his career, Mr. Hanley has obtained significant experience in both State and Federal Courts and has litigated hundreds of cases.
Mr. Hanley's first goal for any client is aggressive representation but with an eye on the economics at stake in the matter. Too often clients end up with legal bills that are greater then the amount at issue in a dispute. While sometimes this situation is unavoidable, Mr. Hanley first strives to achieve quick, economic, and satisfactory resolution to any dispute before engaging in full blown litigation. If a matter is not able to be resolved at the outset, he stands ready to litigate a matter to judgment.
Mr. Hanley is also active in the community. He presently is a member of the board of directors for the Kentucky Derby Museum, the Beacon House, and Big Spring Country Club. He is a past member of the board of directors for both Actors Theatre of Louisville and the Louisville Bar Association. Mr. Hanley is also a member of Holy Trinity parish where he has coached basketball and soccer for the last five years.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Business Law
- Equine Law
- Business & Commercial Law
- Uniform Commercial Code
- Business Organizations
- Directors' & Officers' Liability
- Limited Liability Companies
- Employment Law -- Employer
- Insurance Defense
- Insurance Law
- Litigation & Appeals
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Kentucky, 1994
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Kentucky, 1994
- U.S. District Court Western District of Kentucky, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1994
- Georgetown University, Washington, District of Columbia
- A.B. - 1990
- Saint Xavier High School
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Louisville Bar Association, Member, Board of Directors, 2007 - 2009
- Kentucky Bar Association, Member, 1994 - Present
- City of Glenview Hills, Commissioner, January 1, 2010 - January 1, 2012
Past Employment Positions
- Greenebaum Doll & McDonald, PLLC (nka Bingham Greenebaum Doll, LLP), Associate, 1994 - 1996
Pro Bono Activities
- Actors Theatre of Louisville, Member of the Board of Directors
- Member, Holy Trinity Parish
- Legal Aid
- Beacon House, Member of the Board of Directors
- Big Spring Country Club, Member of the Board of Directors
- Kentucky Derby Museum, Member of the Board of Directors